Lentils are a legume that is indigenous to the Mediterranean and Middle Eastern Countries. They are seeds of a plant that are jam packed with fiber, potassium and protein and make for a great meat replacement.
Since lentils are starchy, earthy in flavor, and can be on the bland side, there are many ways to make them flavorful including by adding them into soup. When other ingredients are introduced that compliment lentils like onions, garlic, spices, and lemon, the taste is out of this world.
There are many variations of lentil soup depending on where you live so do not be surprised if you see different ingredients in it. My version is much more of a Middle Eastern Lebanese style.
PRINT THIS RECIPE AT: https://www.billyparisi.com/homemade-lentil-soup-recipe/
Ingredients for this recipe:
• 2 tablespoons olive oil, ghee, or clarified butter
• 2 peeled and medium diced yellow onions
• 2 peeled and medium diced carrots
• 2 peeled and medium diced ribs of celery
• 3 finely minced cloves of garlic
• 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon ground coriander
• 3 cups green lentils, rinsed
• 1 large peeled and medium diced potato
• 2 bay leaves
• 9 cups chicken stock
• juice of 1 lemon
• salt and pepper to taste